Monday, December 7, 2009

Entry Dated November 16, 2008 - Back to the Bench

Well, it's more than time to get back to the model workbench. One of the first kits that is going to go on my workbench is the "challenge" which sorely has taken far too long to complete (with moves and all). That is the F-14A Tomcat "Sukhoi Killers". I have to thank Tony Hayes for sending me a sheet of Sukhoi Killer decals. He challenged me to finish it in an year. Unfortunately, I couldn't. But I'm going to start the clock ticking this year and try to complete it as soon as I possibly can.

A few basic things looking at this kit, is that I've noticed the abundance of raised panel lines. Considering that this is the first time I'm going to be tackling scribing. That's going to take some time, maybe about four or five days worth of scribing the kit, and that's even before I start messing with any glue.

Photobucket

I need to restrip the cockpit that I did and redo it. It just doesn't look right. The drybrushing method I've been working with leaves white streaks and that's not the effect I want. I may have to use a toothpick to paint the buttons. And the cockpit consoles in the pilot and RIO 'pits need to be modified from the kit parts a bit.

Photobucket

The canopy itself is not able to be used out of box without some serious sanding and finishing. There's a scratch line at the top of the canopy which is visible to the naked eye. So, I'm going to have to sand it with 4000 grit sandpaper to get the scratch out and then polish it with ever higher grits of sandpaper so that I can get the clearness of the canopy back. Then I have to dip it in Future and let it dry.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment